Paneer is love for every Foodie worldwide. It is soft, tasty and can be used in so many dishes. It is the heart of many regional Indian Cuisine. It is also known as cottage cheese and is a type of soft cheese. So this post is dedicated to all cheese lovers.
India is a very diverse country. It’s good to know that Indian food has a wide variety of cuisines based on different regions. Every region has its specialty and variety of food ingredients. Some Indians prefer pure vegetarian food while others prefer Non-Vegetarian food, but there are so many dishes that are loved by everyone, and Paneer is one of them.
Facts About Paneer
- Paneer is a dairy based product as its a type of cheese.
- It is best food for weight loss. It can be eaten raw as well as cooked.
- It is one of the richest source of calcium, protein, and phosphorus.
- It protects your teeth against harmful sugars and bacteria. Thus preventing cavities.
- It also improves digestion, boosts immune system and improves metabolism rate.
- It strengthens hair roots and helps in hair growth.
- It is an effective food for those with hypertension and anxiety problems as it helps in reducing blood pressure.
- It is also beneficial for lower body back and joint pain.
- Most importantly, Paneer can be made by anyone at their home to gain all the above benefits.
How to Make Home Made Paneer
Paneer is one of the most used ingredients in all the regional Indian Cuisines. It can be served with Roti, Rice, Gravy, Bread, and even the ingredient itself can be a great form of snack. You can buy this ingredient from Shops. However, to get the best taste, health benefits and quality, it is advised to make this ingredient at home. It is an easy process and can also save your money.
It is a simple process which require very less ingredients. Here are the only 2 important ingredients that we will be using
You can use any kind of milk. However to get the best results use Full Cream Milk. This will result in a firm formation of Paneer.
- Agent for Curdling
Lemon Juice, Vinegar, Yogurt are some of the best food acids. You can use any of the ingredients. We are going to use Lemon Juice as our Curdling Agent.
Paneer recipe: Let’s Begin
- First, you need milk, it is recommended to use full cream milk for best results however you may use pasteurized milk. It is advised not to use Low fat milk.
- Pour the milk in a container.
- Bring the milk to boil.
- Remember our job is to separate milk from whey and it can be done by using food acid. We have used lemon here, you can use Vinegar or yogurt depending upon availability.
- Keep Stirring the milk from time to time to avoid the milk from sticking to the bottom of the container.
- Now Squeeze and add a single slice of lemon in the milk, and you will see that the milk has started to curdled and started getting separated from the water.
- For the next step, you need a piece of muslin or cotton cloth and a container of steel.
- Strain the curdled milk through the cloth so that you can get the solid particles in that cloth.
- Squeeze out the extra water and tie a knot keeping the cloth tight.
- Now take a heavy jar and place it over the cloth. Gently press the jar on the cloth to make sure it gets firm, soft and acquires a shape.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, lift the jar ensure knot of the cloth is tight enough to hold the shape.
- Store it in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Does Paneer make you fit or fat?
100 Gram of Paneer contains 30 Gram fat and 19 gram of protein. It is not a primary source of protein nor the primary source of fat. It is not a lean source of protein. Some examples of the lean source of protein are egg whites, chicken breast, fish.
Is Paneer Healthy?
Yes, Paneer is indeed the healthiest source of Vegetarian food you can find on this planet. But it also depends on factors like:-
- Timing of eating
It is advisable to eat paneer before evening tea. Later than this might affect by increasing body fat.
Eating in right quantity. Overeating of anything would cause issues to your health. Easting upto 100 gms of cottage cheese is healthy.
Paneer is made from milk which contains fat in good amount. It also contains saturated fat which is not healthy to eat. The maximum intake of saturated fat is 15 percent. It becomes healthy when you take less saturated fat from your other source of food.
Human Body can suffer various mental and physical problems during the period of Covid-19, here are some tips to Stay Healthy
Here are some Benefits of Paneer
- It contains protein, it is one of the best sources of protein for vegetarians.
- It contains Vitamin B2, B12 and Vitamin D.
- It helps in skin smoothening and adds glow.
- It contains calcium which makes the bones strong.
- It also contains Vitamin A, Phosphorus, and zinc.
- It is good for kids, pregnant women and senior citizens.
- It contains a high amount of fat.
- It increases cholesterol Level which is not good for your heart
Can I Eat Paneer after a workout?
No, you must not eat Paneer after and before work out because your body needs vast digesting Protein. It is not a source of fast digesting protein, it takes time to get digested in the body.
However, You can eat Paneer atleast 1 hour before working out. Eating Paneer or drinking milk before working out is good for your muscles.
It can be healthy if you consume it in short portions. It gives you some protein and is good for people who are trying to gain weight.
Which time should I Consume Paneer?
Paneer is a great source of protein for vegetarians. You can consume it in your lunch, dinner and snacks. Consuming it before sleep is beneficial for the muscles, it maintains the bulk and size of the muscles.
It is healthy if you eat it once or twice but if your consumption of Diary Products is more than the required limit then you will gain fat.
Here is why you should make paneer at your home
Avoid Buying it from shops especially during covid19, as it may contain additional additives and it is not safe to depend on outsourced products. So it is always recommended to make your homemade Paneer. There is a big noticeable difference between homemade and shop Paneer in terms of taste, nutrition value and overall quality.
Here are some advantages of Home Made Paneer
- It is Fresh
- It is fairly cheap, as you can use milk
- It has better taste, hygiene, and Freshness.
Alternatives of Paneer
- Halloumi cheese